Lyme Regis Golf Club was founded on 3rd April 1893 and Lyme Regis became one of the first towns in Dorset to possess a golf course.
The “Entrance Fee” was £1 1s and the annual subscription was also £1 1s. The visitor green fees were 1s 0d (daily); 4s 0d (weekly) and 10s 0d (monthly). There were 67 members.
The Original Course
The original course was laid out as 9 holes and then extended to become 18 holes in 1931. The new 18 holes now measuring a total of 5,471 yards.
The official opening saw a match between Reg Whitcombe and S.A. Easterbrook, both of whom represented GB in pre-war Ryder Cups. The match was halved.
This photograph was taken in 1969. The green and tees in the foreground no longer exist, having been lost in cliff falls, as has the chain link fence.
The fields in the right foreground were purchased by the club. In 1982 they were incorporated into a new course layout and are now part of the 4th, 5th and 15th holes.
The field at the top right of the photograph became the present 14th fairway in 1972. The course was still very “open”. The policy of tree planting, to give better definition of certain holes, was started in 1971
The Present Day
Owing to the continuous battle with coastal erosion the golf course has been the subject of several changes in design, however, over the years, helped by continuous investment and the employment of excellent staff, the club and course has evolved into a welcoming and acclaimed venue.
The course now measures 6283 yards.
2018 saw the Club celebrating its 125 year anniversary, during which it hosted the Dorset County Championships and more importantly the English Girls U16/U14 Amateur Championships.